Please note, for an emergency, please dial 911.
The Sheriff´s Office offers a variety of programs and lectures to groups of all ages. Please contact us if you would like a program in regards to safety, prevention or awareness by calling 540-775-2049.
Security Checks are offered to all home, property and business owners. During routine patrol, our Deputy´s will check your home or business while you are away on travel or other reasons. If you wish to request a Security Check, please stop by our Communications Center to complete the request form.
Child Safety Seat Inspections
The King George County Sheriff´s Office is committed to the safety of our citizens, especially our youth. One way we strive to keep children safe is through our Child Passenger Safety Program. Currently, our office employs several certified technicians who are available to answer questions and give advice. These officers have attended specialized training and received national certifications to provide you with the most accurate information possible.
Free child safety seat inspections are scheduled on a regular basis around the County. These inspections are intended to make recommendations and correct any potential hazards, not to issue tickets. If after an inspection a safety seat is needed, booster and convertible seats are available to qualified persons. To find out when the next scheduled safety seat inspection will be held or to request an inspection, contact our office.
Child Safety Seats & the Law
d 46.2-1095 - Child restraint devices required when transporting certain children; safety belts for other children less than sixteen years old required; penalty.
- Any person who drives on the highways of Virginia any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, shall ensure that any child through age five, whom he transports therein is provided with and properly secured in a child restraint device of a type which meets the standards adopted by the United States Department of Transportation.
- Any person transporting any child less than sixteen years old, except for those required pursuant to subsection A to be secured in a child restraint device, shall ensure that such child is provided with and properly secured by an appropriate safety belt system when driving on the highways of Virginia in any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices.
- A violation of this section shall not constitute negligence, be considered in mitigation of damages of whatever nature, be admissible in evidence or be the subject of comment by counsel in any action for the recovery of damages in a civil action.
- Any person who violates subsection B of this section shall be subject to a civil penalty of twenty-five dollars to be paid into the state treasury and credited to the Child Restraint Device Special Fund pursuant to d 46.2-1097. No assignment of demerit points shall be made under Article 19 (d 46.2-489 et seq.) of Chapter 3 of this title and no court costs shall be assessed for violations of this section.
- A violation of this section may be charged on the uniform traffic summons form.
- Nothing is this section shall apply to taxicabs, school buses, executive sedans, limousines, or the rear cargo area of vehicles other than pickup trucks.
d 46.2-1100 - The use of a seat belt of the type which is standard equipment shall not violate this article if:
- The affected child is at least four years old but less than six years old.
- The weight and size of the child is such as to make the use of such seat belt practical and the use of an approved child restraint impractical.